Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Father offers daughter to shoe-thrower


Father offers daughter to shoe-thrower CAIRO (Reuters) –

An Egyptian man said on Wednesday he was offering his 20-year-old daughter in marriage to , who threw his shoes at U.S. President in Baghdad on Sunday.

The daughter, Amal Saad Gumaa, said she agreed with the idea. "This is something that would honor me. I would like to live in Iraq, especially if I were attached to this hero," she told Reuters by telephone.

Her father, Saad Gumaa, said he had called Dergham, Zaidi's brother, to tell him of the offer. "I find nothing more valuable than my daughter to offer to him, and I am prepared to provide her with everything needed for marriage,"he added.

Zaidi's gesture has struck a chord across the Arab world, where President Bush is widely despised for invading Iraq in 2003 and for his support for Israel.

Amal is a student in the media faculty at Minya University in central Egypt.

Zaidi's response to the proposal was not immediately clear.
*(Reporting by Mohamed Abdellah, Writing by Jonathan Wright)*

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment